Job Title: Flight Test Instructor (FTI)
Head of Training
The Flight Test Instructor (FTI) shall be qualified and is responsible to the CFI-FW or CFI-RW, as appropriate, and has the following Terms of Reference:
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Ensure that students are correctly briefed and prepared for flying exercises.
- Ensure that Risk Assessments are completed.
- Authorize flights within his or her powers of authorization.
- Ensure that the students receive proper flight exercise demonstrations, and that students have the opportunity to practice, flight test techniques and data-gathering techniques.
- Ensure that course flights are properly debriefed and that a Sortie Report Assessment is generated to monitor student progress.
- Ensure that students prepare and submit reports for exercises managed by the FTI as required by the syllabus and act as first marker of such reports. The FTI shall monitor the progress of individual students and brief this on a regular basis to the appropriate CFI and Head of Training.
- In the case of concerns about student progress, report to the CFI or Head of Training as soon as possible.
- Participate in ITPS consulting projects to maintain currency.
- Perform other related activities, as necessary or as assigned by supervisor.
- EASA pilot license at ATPL or CPL/IR level with FT Rating Category 1 and FTI Rating or equivalent ICAO license and TP qualifications to qualify as FTI.
- A minimum of 3 years’ post-qualification and 200 hours experience as a test pilot.
- Previous experience as FI, TRI, or FTI is an asset.
- An FTI may hold a Category 2 only TP rating: in these circumstances’ instruction shall be limited to Category 2 courses only.
- An FTI who holds a Transport Canada or validated ICAO license AND a recognized TP qualification AND has undergone ITPS standardization may give instruction in flight test techniques to ITPS Students who are not seeking an EASA TP rating; in this case FCL.900 approval is not required.
- Must be able to travel up 20% of the time.